public ip address behind nat

Thomas M. Skeren III tms3 at fskklaw.com
Tue Jan 25 15:14:00 PST 2005

Brian Reichert wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:21:19PM -0800, Mihai Nitulescu wrote:
>

>>In the LAN i have the other machine application.example.com
>>I have some Public IP`s from my ISP :
>>
>>193.231.43.25-30
>>255.255.255.248
>>
>>I want to assign to application.example.com 193.231.43.27 and to route this ip trough nat.example.com
>>
>>Any ideea how can i do that ?

I'm having problems with your setup.  Is Application.example.com at
193.531.43.27 or is it on the lan with an internal address?

If it's internal, then machines on the lan can see the internal IP, so
there's no reason for it to have a public address.  If machines outside
the lan need to get to app.ex.com, then use natd_flags in rc.conf and
point the ports you need opened on app to the local addy of app, and use
the NAT's external addy for the external users of app.  That would be
the easiest way if you don't want to give an external addy to app.

Of course the easiest way is to just give app an external addy and plug
it into the ISP supplied router.  Unless app is a M$ box, of course.