vlans changed?

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Wed Jan 19 13:02:06 PST 2005

Did something change from 5.2.1 to 5.3?

In 5.2.1 I used to have a config where the parent device, em(4), didn't have an
IP, and the vlan dev had the IP address. (yes, the parent device was "UP") I
then configured the trunk (on the switch) to have a native vlan of something
other than the vlan interface's vlan.

This worked.

Now, in 5.3, the only thing I can get working is to configure the em0 int with
the IP, and set the trunk to have the native vlan corresponding to that IP. Weird.

Also, is there a way to stop em(4) from stripping dot1q tags in hardware? I'd
like to see them with tcpdump. What kind of a performance hit does this involve?

Thanks :)

-Charlie