Network Accounting

The Jetman jetman at mycbc.com
Tue Jan 18 17:57:46 PST 2005

I've been following this little thread and was curious about how
my own solution compares w/ the others discussed.

####    x.y.z.14
${ipfw} add pipe 7 ip from x.y.z.14 to any
${ipfw} pipe 7 config bw 1024Kbit/s queue 50
${ipfw} add pipe 8 ip from any to x.y.z.14
${ipfw} pipe 8 config bw 1024Kbit/s queue 50
####

I setup a series of rules for each of a real IPs, as shown above, to
cap bwidth usage and to provide a series of byte counters that could be
captured hourly.  This box was a bridge box bet the client's internal net
and their T1.  My CRON job would sit on the working side of a pipe from
the 'ipfw -a list' command, then parse each rule for the inbound then
outbound byte/packet count.  Each inbound and outbount count was then
inserted into a SQL UPDATE stmt for each IP.

I inquire bet I've seen a nbr of other approaches and was wondering are
all of these approaches equally valid, but I'm esp curious if my approach
makes sense.

TIA.  Later....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.     -