Network accounting

Andrew Seguin asegu at borgtech.ca
Mon Jan 17 14:08:34 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch (Bitblock) [mailto:mitch at bitblock.com]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 10:51 PM
To: 'Andrew Seguin'; freebsd-net at freebsd.org
Subject: RE: Network accounting

[Mitch says:] you could also use a simple PERL program to parse the output
from your ipfw counter list....

Call it on a cron - keep in mind how quick the counters can roll over
depending on how fast the interfaces are.

m/

With the help, in pointing out the mask feature to me from Jon Simola, this
quite possibly might be the path I'll take (I'll sleep on it first).

I already have a daily cron job set at 11:59PM, dumping (and then zeroing)
IPFW's state to a text file, which is then parsed and appended to a CSV
file. This will simply require me to expand the parsing, and that's not all
that bad, just a bit of work tomorrow.

Interfaces are 100Mbps, but our internet is about 50Mbps total I believe
(still have yet to get hard facts from people here). With our daily traffic,
we see always 80GB total daily... but I'll keep hourly accounting in mind.

I'm very thankful to you all,
Once again this list has been of great help and a great blessing, Thank you!
:)
Andrew