pf & clonable devices

Eric Masson e-masson at kisoft-services.com
Mon Jan 17 09:20:12 PST 2005

Hi,

uname -a :
FreeBSD srvbsdnanssv.interne.kisoft-services.com 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Tue Jan 11 11:44:56 CET 2005     emss at srvbsdnanssv.interne.kisoft-services.com:/vol0/build/usr/src/sys/K6II  i386

kldstat :
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   19 0xc0400000 2f6a20   kernel
 2    1 0xc06f7000 14f08    if_ppp.ko
 3    1 0xc070c000 9a88     if_xl.ko
 4    2 0xc0716000 18a44    miibus.ko
 5    1 0xc072f000 39ac     ulpt.ko
 6    9 0xc0733000 1357c    agp.ko
 7    1 0xc13fa000 1e000    nfsserver.ko
 8    1 0xc1429000 28000    pf.ko

I'm back at the moment to an isdn line for internet connection, and I'm
using pppd (kernel ppp) and an isdn TA.

I'm using Alain Thivillon's SSLTunnel for connection to the main office
(kernel ppp tunnel encapsulated in a SSL session)

pppX interfaces are created on demand as pppd is started.

So I end with a setup like this one :
ppp0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1524
        inet 213.36.152.19 --> 212.129.4.14 netmask 0xffffff00
ppp1: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.0.70 --> 192.168.0.15 netmask 0xffffff00

kernel ppp doesn't seem to reuse existing pppX devices, it creates new
ones as needed. PF rules are defined for fixed network devices, so I
destroy pppX interfaces on ppp shutdown and let pppd recreate them as
needed.

In this case, I need to refresh PF by issuing :
pfctl -F all -f /etc/pf.conf
to get traffic passing thru newly recreated ppp0/1 interfaces.

Is this a feature or a bug ?

Regards

Éric Masson

--
 Tu as mille fois raison, un abonnement gratuit ce n'est pas un cadeau.
 D'ailleurs quand on a eu le beurre, l'argent et le cul de la crémière,