FreeBSD, Samba and OSX clients

Philip Murray pmurray at nevada.net.nz
Tue Feb 22 21:17:23 PST 2005

On 23/02/2005, at 3:00 AM, gnn at freebsd.org wrote:

> At Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:41:38 +1300,
> Philip Murray wrote:
>> I tried doing a tcpdump, but I couldn't really make enough sense of it
>> to know if there was something wrong.
>>

> Can you put up that tcpdump file for others to look at?  That, and a
> description of the network, how the relevant machines are connected,
> and their names, could definitely help.

Here is a trace after copying 1MB or so of a file (it was 660MB and
would've taken upwards of 7 hours to copy)

http://www.nevada.net.nz/~pmurray/slowsmb.bpf

(captured with tcpdump -w slowsmb.bpf -i de0 host 10.58.3.145 and port
139)

The server is 10.58.3.1 (Mirage, Samba v3.0.6) and the client is
10.58.3.145 (Lunchbox, MacOS 10.3.8), all the clients (10.58.3/24) are
just connected via a single 100Mb/sec switch.

Cheers

Phil Murray