FreeBSD, Samba and OSX clients

Philip Murray pmurray at nevada.net.nz
Tue Feb 22 01:41:49 PST 2005

Hi,

I have a problem with MacOS X clients (all 10.3.8) accessing a Samba
server on FreeBSD (RELENG_5). Transferring files will often occur very
very slowly, usually between 170k/sec-32k/sec.

This doesn't happen with a Windows or Linux server and likewise if the
clients are Windows or Linux. The version of Samba also seems to have no
effect. NFS performance is fine, as is iperf doing a TCP test. The
machines are all connected on a 100Mb/sec switched network.

I've tried toggling various net.inet.tcp sysctls to see if any make a
difference (delayed ACKs, SACK etc), but nothing seems to have any
effect. Any ideas on how I can further debug this? is there something
obvious that could be wrong?

I tried doing a tcpdump, but I couldn't really make enough sense of it
to know if there was something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Phil Murray
pmurray at nevada.net.nz