paranoia

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 17 03:53:17 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Andrew Heyn wrote:

> Here's an on/off topic question i've been wondering about forever...
>
> I always see people replace their IPs with fake replacements.  Is this
> paranoia really warranted?  Why not disconnect the cat5 if you want to
> do this?
>
> Or am I not seeing things the right way?

People who "fake" IPs generally do so for purposes of anonymity or to
prevent revealing information about their network infrastructure.  Here
are a few examples of situations where people look to conceal their IP
addresses

- Firewalls and NATs perform address translation to conceal the internal
  layout of a network.  This can make it substantially harder to
  effectively attack a network.

- Spammers attempt to conceal their IP addresses so that they cannot be
  tracked back to a particular ISP.

- Attackers using distributed denial of service attacks will conceal their
  IP addresses so they cannot be traced back to a particular end-host.

- End-users seeking to send anonymous tips, etc, i.e., to the police,
  media, or others, will conceal their IP addresses to hide their
  identities.

So there's quite a spectrum of interest in the topic :-).  Sometimes this
is done by spoofing IP addresses using raw sockes or BPF; other times, it
is done through proxies, onion routing, and so on, which requires
collaboration by other parties (witting or otherwise).

Robert N M Watson