kernel mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD?

CHOI Junho cjh at kr.FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 11 07:23:16 PST 2005

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: kernel mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:43:52 +0300

>   Junho,
>
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:42:27PM +0900, CHOI Junho wrote:
> C> I understand what you mean. If so, why serious network server like nfs
> C> is still in kernel?
>
> Because it is filesystem. Do you want kernel httpd or fast httpd for

nfs client is filesystem, yes. but nfs server is not.

> static content? In case of the latter use nginx from ports, in case of
> the former install Linux.

I don't want to install Linux just for tux, and I know at least
thttpd(or other kqueue-using equivalents) works very well on
FreeBSD. I just want to know the possibility and usefulness compared
to many userland ones.

And for nfs, old usermode nfsd of linux works nicely on FreeBSD. If we
improve usermode nfsd for stability and performance, why don't we
compare it with kernel-level nfsd implementation?

> C> Of course it is a fat job to implement http/ftp in kernel, but it can
> C> be a good experiment...
>
> The experiment is already done. It is called tux.

Again, I know what is tux and why there is no such experiment on
FreeBSD. Some people explained why, and I agree with them.

--
CHOI Junho <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>     cjh@[kr.]FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint = 1369 7374 A45F F41A F3C0  07E3 4A01 C020 E602 60F5