kernel mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD?

Alexey Zelkin phantom at FreeBSD.org.ua
Thu Feb 10 03:34:20 PST 2005

hi,

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 05:30:34PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Max Laier wrote:
>
> >On Monday 07 February 2005 10:20, CHOI Junho wrote:
> >

> >>Anyone knows about kernel-mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD? (just like tux
> >>of linuxI searched several times but failed.
> >>

> >No there is not.  In my humble opinion it's a *really* bad idea to
> >implement something that vulnarable to external attacks and buffer
> >overflows inside the kernel.  The often claimed performance benefit can as
> >easily be achieved with accept filters (see esp. accf_http(9)) and
> >kqueue(9).  There is really no need to put this into the kernel.

Two years ago I did some initial work (more proof of concept, than
something for real use) in order to learn netgraph, but realworld
issues forced me to switch to other areas.  Actually all basic stuff
was done, but it was very poor on performance and parallelism.

> actually there is..
> it was written by  ummm
> umm
> jpd I think.. (unless it was imp)
>
> but it is not released.

Actually, as John said, it was not pure kernel server able to handle real
traffic.  It was something like stress testing helper tool.