dhclient Not Finding Interfaces

Crist J. Clark cristjc at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 22:02:31 PST 2005

Running 4.11-RELEASE. Getting some weirdness from dhclient(1).
It keeps reporting "not found" for any interface. This is a
notebook PC and at first I thought it was just the wi(4) card,
but I tried a "regular" ep(4) NIC and got the same result. The
interface is found by pccardd(8) just fine (after all it is
what is starts dhclient(8)), and it sure is there in
ifconfig(8). I can also manually configure the interfaces,
and they work fine.

I built a dhclient(8) with debug symbols and ran through it,
but after a few hours of trying to understan the ISC code,
thought I'd see if anyone here has ideas. It sure looks like
the program gets the info on the interface just fine, but
I'm not really sure why it is deciding it is not there.

Dhclient(8) used to work fine on this PC and I have no idea
why it changed. I built a new world and the problem persists.

Anyone have any suggestions or things to look for?
Crist J. Clark                     |     cjclark at alum.mit.edu