kernel mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD?

CHOI Junho cjh at kr.FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 8 05:42:40 PST 2005

From: Max Laier <max at love2party.net>
Subject: Re: kernel mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:19:45 +0100

> On Monday 07 February 2005 10:20, CHOI Junho wrote:
> > Anyone knows about kernel-mode httpd/ftpd for FreeBSD? (just like tux
> >  of linuxI searched several times but failed.
>
> No there is not.  In my humble opinion it's a *really* bad idea to implement
> something that vulnarable to external attacks and buffer overflows inside the
> kernel.  The often claimed performance benefit can as easily be achieved with
> accept filters (see esp. accf_http(9)) and kqueue(9).  There is really no
> need to put this into the kernel.

I understand what you mean. If so, why serious network server like nfs
is still in kernel?

Of course it is a fat job to implement http/ftp in kernel, but it can
be a good experiment...

--
CHOI Junho <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>     cjh@[kr.]FreeBSD.org
Key fingerprint = 1369 7374 A45F F41A F3C0  07E3 4A01 C020 E602 60F5