5.4 / 6.0 wi0 and dhcp with closed network

JK jdkullmann at aliencamel.com
Wed Dec 28 12:04:59 PST 2005

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:05:10 -0400
  "JK" <jdkullmann at aliencamel.com> wrote:
> I cannot get this to work at startup time on 5.4
>
> On 6.0 I put  ifconfig_wi0="ssid mynet DHCP" into /etc/rc.conf and
>that works.  I end up on the closed 'mynet' network via a DHCP
>address.
>
> On 5.4 neither that line nor other combinations in /etc/rc.conf of
>
> ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"
> ifconfig_wi0="ssid mynet"
> dhclient wi0
>
> work.  I _can_ get up on 5.4 by booting and then manually doing
>
> ifconfig wi0 ssid mynet
> dhclient wi0
>
> After dhclient receives the IP etc from the server the machine is up
>fine.
>
> How in the world do I do this in /etc/rc.conf ( or other files ) on
>5.4 so it works automatically at startup time?

Following myself up,   the only way I could get this to work in 5.4 at
startup time was to create a  /etc/start_if.wi0 that contained

ifconfig wi0 ssid mynet
dhclient wi0

and not put any ifconfig_XX commands into my /etc/rc.conf

That seems pretty cheesey to me but it works.  If anyone else has a
cleaner way I'd love to know what it is.