Good gigabit NIC for 4.11?

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Fri Dec 23 15:25:06 PST 2005

"."@babolo.ru wrote:

>>I've been Googling up a storm but I am having trouble finding
>>recommendations for a good gigabit ethernet card to use with 4.11. The
>>Intel part numbers I found in the em readme are a few years old now, and
>>I can't quite determine how happy people are with other chipsets despite
>>my searches.
>>
>>I'm looking for a basic PCI 1-port card with jumbo frame support if
>>possible--I can live without it. Either way, stability is much more
>>important than performance.
>>

>em for PCI32x33MHz works good up to 250Mbit/s, not more
>em for PCI64x66MHz works up to about 500Mbit/s without polling

with 2 em interfaces on pci-express,  bridging between the two
interfaces I can
bridge 930Mbits/sec. That is with filterring using ipfw on the bridge,
testing
against a single table of 128000 entries.

(dell 2850 plus an Intel quad gig card)
I get the same thoughput even with the machine bypassed.

I haven't tried two streams going in opposite directions to see if I can
double that,
but cpu usage is around 15%