Good gigabit NIC for 4.11?

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Dec 23 14:13:50 PST 2005

On Dec 23, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Rink Springer wrote:
>> However, there is little point to trying to use GB and jumbo frames
>> on a NIC in a standard 33MHz PCI slot; unless you have PCI Express
>> slots available or a GB card integrated with the chipset, the PCI bus
>> will bottleneck the system from doing much better than a 100Mbs NIC
>> would perform...
>
> Well, most desktop boards with a gigabit card don't have very good
> performance; I wasn't able to get any decent performance out of a sk
> (4)
> on an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard anyway (Even an em(4) in a
> 32bit
> PCI slot did much better). I've had very decent results with 64bit
> PCI-X,
> however, which sk(4)'s, ti(4)'s and em(4)'s.

It all depends on the details.  :-)

Any decent server motherboard which supports PCI-X ought to have the
backplane bus to handle that kinda bandwidth, whereas a consumer
grade motherboard where the GB NIC is hanging off the PCI bus rather
than being integrated into the northbridge is not going to do nearly
so well.

The onboard em NICs in the Dell PE28x0's and whatever is in the HP
DL370/380's (bge's) seem to work well...

--
-Chuck