ifconfig_fxp0 with both DHCP and Link?

bostondriver at comcast.net bostondriver at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 09:00:07 PST 2005

Hi,

I need to set my connection to my cable provider to use both DHCP and set the Ethernet address.  Is one meant to use rc.conf for both?

man rc.conf says that options can be specified along with DHCP, but setting an address family doesn't show up in the options section of the man page.

I belive that placing "ifconfig fxp0 link aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" in  /etc/start_if.fxp0 and then leaving rc.conf with just ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP" will work.  But that puts the config in multiple files.  I'd like to avoid that.

What do others do?  I can't be the only one who wants to avoid calling the cable company when they change an Ethernet card.

Thanks,
BD