Atheros Looping: ath0: hardware error; resetting

Nate Nielsen nielsen-list at memberwebs.com
Fri Dec 16 15:17:22 PST 2005

I have Atheros 5213 based 802.11a cards. When switching 'media' (ie:
rates or speed) I often get the following error multiple times on my
console:

> ath0: hardware error; resetting
> ath0: hardware error; resetting

It's all fine and good when it's just a few times, but in many cases it
enters an endless loop, bringing the wireless link to it's knees. The
above line is written to the console over and over again,

I'm running FreeBSD 6.0 on two boxes sitting next to each other. The
wireless NICs are setup real simple (in rc.conf) with:

ifconfig_ath0="inet 10.28.2.18/30 ssid tel2 channel 52 \
               mediaopt adhoc"

To duplicate run the following several times:

# ifconfig ath0 media auto
# ifconfig ath0 media OFDM/6Mbps

A work around is simply to punch the settings into rc.conf and reboot.

Cheers,
Nate