Does pxeboot support option 134?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Tue Dec 13 12:00:49 PST 2005

Remove duplicate ps at .

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

> I am trying to do diskless booting. Right now I am trying to make the
> /conf/${class}/ function provided in FreeBSD 6.0 work. I have had success
> with /conf/${ip}/ but not with ${class}.
>
> I have
>
> option t134-cookie code 134=text
>
> at the beginning of my dhcpd.conf file, and
>
> option t134-cookie "client"
>
> with the other parameters for the diskless client. The dhcpd server is on
> a FreeBSD 5.2.1 system (everything else is 6.0). I have the impression
> that the dhcp server is ok with these settings, however, no mention of
> T134 makes appears in the output of bootptest when run on the client.

>From my reading of the source, vendor-option 134 is only parsed by the
nfsclient bootp code which is activated with the BOOTP kernel option.  If
you want to use that feature via PXE then pxe_open() in
src/sys/boot/i386/libi386/pxe.c needs modification, specifically to parse
the array in bootplayer.d.

pxeboot passes its information via kenv and would require a bit of code
hidden somewhere to convert it into a sysctl to maintain compatibility
with the BOOTP feature.