Does pxeboot support option 134?

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Tue Dec 13 10:10:55 PST 2005

I am trying to do diskless booting. Right now I am trying to make the
/conf/${class}/ function provided in FreeBSD 6.0 work. I have had success
with /conf/${ip}/ but not with ${class}.

I have

option t134-cookie code 134=text

at the beginning of my dhcpd.conf file, and

option t134-cookie "client"

with the other parameters for the diskless client. The dhcpd server is on
a FreeBSD 5.2.1 system (everything else is 6.0). I have the impression
that the dhcp server is ok with these settings, however, no mention of
T134 makes appears in the output of bootptest when run on the client.

I can't tell what might be wrong, but if I look in /etc/rc.initdiskless it
does echo the value of ${class}, which in my case is blank rather than the
expected "client" supplied in dhcpd.conf. If I run "kenv" or "sysctl -a"
and search the output for this variable, I don't see any names with "134",
"cookie", or the value "client". My thought is that maybe the "t134"
feature isn't supported in the 6.0 release kernel, in particular, perhaps
pxeboot does not request that option, or it is supported only for bootp
and not dhcp. There are some postings from users reporting success with
this option, however all seem to be using bootp rather than dhcpd, and all
seem to have older kernels.

I am using an unmodified 6.0 #0 kernel, with the default options. It
does serve to generate a system that boots and functions, except for this
feature.

Thanks for any insight.

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg isat nber dotte org