high interrupts by network interfaces

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Dec 11 05:48:09 PST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 03:26:50AM -0800, kamal kc wrote:
> i modified the bridge.c file and added a routine to
> compress/decompress
> ip packet. i put my code in bdg_forward(). And ran the
> pc in bridge mode.
>
> The modified kernel is deployed in network where the
> datarate is
> about 4 to 6 Mbps. One thing to be noted is that the
> pc receives
> continues data at 4 to 6 Mbps rather than sudden burst
> at intervals.
>
> Now the problem is, I am getting very high interrupts
> from the network
> interfaces. the cpu utilization by the interrupts is
> high due to which there
> is latency added to the packets forwarded by the pc.
> The pc attempts to
> compress/decompress all tcp packets.

Suggestion: start with a standard kernel, without your custom modifications.

If unmodified bridging works, and you get the high interrupt level, then you
have found a problem with in FreeBSD.

If unmodified bridging works, but interrupts are at a normal level, then you
have a found a problem with your own code.