Aggregate network interfaces

Evgueni V. Gavrilov aquatique at rusunix.org
Fri Aug 26 05:25:14 GMT 2005

In article <1125031757.79719.TMDA at seddon.ca> you wrote:

> Oh wow!  That's cool.  I missed that somehow.  The 'man' page doesn't
> mention the hash functions options.
>
> On the Cat 6500s you can log into the Sup and change the hash function so
> it's not just IP, but rather IP+Port.  I've previously used this to balance
> the load across multiple gig links with traffic going to a sinlge backup
> host, for example.  (I you want to know how I'll have to look that up)

Fast EtherChannel/GigaChannel does ballance itself AFAIK

upon closing kern/85239 (by emax, not me) I did some tests, and one of them was parallel transfers (input/output) to/from several hosts. so I noticed funny balancing: transfers to/from one host ballanced over 2 interfaces in the bundle so that incoming traffic goes through one interface, outgoing traffic goes through another. further transfers from/to another hosts will be ballanced the same way until peak rate will hit. after peak hit both interfaces in the bundle are used for transmit and receiving.

I suppose that behaviour for the most part caused by switch/stack ports config, since ng_fec(4) has only 1 setting: forwarding method (set_mode_mac/set_mode_inet). May be it would be great to have some description of switch/stack ports configuration in the ng_fec(4) man page.