polling in 4.11 vs 5.4

dima _pppp at mail.ru
Tue Aug 23 11:26:30 GMT 2005

>          I hope this is the right place that I post to!
>

>          When I enabled polling in 5.4 and 4.11, I found that CPU load
> in 5.4 is much higher than 4.11. For example, suppose HZ is 5000, in 5.4
> the idle CPU is about 87%, but in 4.11, the idle CPU is about 99.9%. Is
> this right? Or the statistic is wrong in 4.11?
>
>          BTW, ACPI is disabled under 5.4.
>
> BTW, I found that context switch in 5.4 is much higher than 5.4 while
> enabling polling. (Using systat -vmstat 1)
>
>          I'm looking forward your reply.
The polling code hasn't been changed since 4.11. I've posted a patch to resolve giant lock issue in it, but it wasn't merged. I don't have enough time by now to rewrite it according the opinions mentioned. But the cost of context switch is definitely higher on 5.x
HZ == 5000 is too much i think. 1000 is quite enough for network-intensive applications.