problems with em(4)

Mao Shou Yan david.mao at thomson.net
Fri Aug 12 05:52:29 GMT 2005

I have a machine running 5.4 stable, with 3 em cards:

(1) Two 82543GC with fiber

(2) One 82544

All of them are shared irq 11( from vmstat -i)

The problem is:

         After the system run about 3 hours, there will be large "Ierrs"
with the em0(BTW, em0 is in promisc mode).

         I use "sysctl hw.em0.stats=1", found there are a lot of "missed
packets" and some "Receive with no buffers".

         Em0 is in polling mode, and hz is 2000, burst_max and
each_burst is the default value.

         The system is not heavy loaded, incoming rates of em0 is less
than 150Mbits/s. em1 and em2 are not connected.

         And pps is less than 30k.

         After 3 hours, the ierrs raise quickly every 1 minutes!

         From pciconf, I found the driver version is "1.7.35".

         I think is a problem with em(4) driver.

         Anyone meet such condition?