NAT-T support for IPSec stack

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at seton.org
Thu Aug 4 20:18:15 GMT 2005

Not sure if this helps at all, but I did some searching a bit to read
others comments concerning the NAT-T / IPR debate. These two documents
get mentioned repeatedly and would appear to have something to do with
other vendors decision to adopt NAT-T support.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/MICROSOFT-NAT-Traversal.txt
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/SSH-NAT

There was also some mention of a third claim but it was hard to find
details on the subject. Lastly, some people voiced concerns regarding
the application of NAT-T to IKEv2 as the first of the two disclosures
mention the IKEv1 RFC specifically where the other is quite broad.

I can't imagine anyone is actively defending any patent claims here with
so many implementations of IKE / NAT-T out there. Would a group such as
the FreeBSD Foundation be able to help find answers to legal questions
such as this?

reference : www.google.com -> nat-t patent ipsec

-Matthew