NAT-T support for IPSec stack

VANHULLEBUS Yvan vanhu_bsd at zeninc.net
Thu Aug 4 07:46:55 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:51:55PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
[NAT-T, IPR, etc....]
> > More infos about that may be get from Emmanuel Dreyfus, a NetBSD
> > developper and a member of the ipsec-tools team, which made the NetBSD
> > NAT-T support, and told me a few month ago that NetBSD lawyers were
> > looking at that potential IPR issue.
>
> do you have more info about this?

Ok, I have more informations about what have been done for NetBSD:

There are known patents which may covert some parts of NAT-T, but
those patents are very unclear, and it is very difficult to see if
they really cover some parts of the NAT-T process, and it is still
more unclear if they are valid.

So, the solution choosen for NetBSD is the same as for ipsec-tools: it
is enabled by an option, and it is specified in the documentation that
"some parts of this code may be patent encumbered in some countries".

I also asked a few months ago what have changed for OpenBSD (they told
some years ago that they woudn't implement NAT-T until no all
potential IPR problems were solved, then they implemented NAT-T), but
had no real answer.

Yvan.