running out of mbufs?

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Wed Aug 3 03:59:47 GMT 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Dave+Seddon wrote:

> For some reason, the 'current' can be WAAAY higher than the 'max' which
> seems very odd.  I've tried putting the 'max' right up to 5 billion, however
> it only goes to 2.1 billion.

Argh, kris beat me to mentioning the statistics problem.

Well, I'd add another potentially useful piece of data:

> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=1024000
> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=1024000
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=20480000

I don't think large socket buffers have been tested well, it's possible
that you're exhausting almost all of your mbufs with just a few
connections - if you're really stuffing that much data in.  I'd go back to
the default settings for the above and try again.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack