Virtual network stacks in FreeBSD?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Fri Apr 29 05:51:15 PDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 04:00:43PM +0200, Ragnar Lonn wrote:
> Does anyone know if virtual network stack support (as implemented at
> http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/vimage/) is on the roadmap for future FreeBSD
> releases?

One of the things about vimage is it changes *everything*, and adds an
additional argument to all network stack related functions; although when
Marko profiled it, he found that there was a slight performance increase
(I think 2-3%) due to locality-of-reference L2 cache effects.

Because it would have a substantial impact on the driver ABI, I think
expecting to see vimage in 6.0 would be unrealistic, but it may be something
to consider as an option for 7.0.

Regards,
BMS