Unable to add smbpasswds for user accounts

Shyam Shantikumar skshyam at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:46:57 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Thanx Kovesdan and Giorgos for your favorable input. Its working now.

I am having trouble with the SAMBA smbpasswd account entries. I created the
account entries on the windows system and simultaneously on the unix box as
well. I have added smbadmin to the tdbsecrets file. I have also managed to
setup the openldap directory and pupolated the files using slapadd and
ldapmodify.

When I am adding the user accounts in smbpasswd which I had earlier created
in windows and unix, I am getting the following message.

root at LDAPSERVER:/usr/local/etc# Apr 28 12:37:10 LDAPSERVER kernel: pid 30742
(smbpasswd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped).

Later on, I can post my smb.conf and slapd files when asked for.

I have read in some books that you need POSIXACCOUNTS for all valid UNIX
users. I don't really understand what this means.

Could someone help me on these issues

Thanx

Regards

Shyam