errors while starting named

Kövesdán Gábor gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu
Wed Apr 27 14:48:48 PDT 2005

Shyam Shantikumar wrote:

>Dear All,
>

>I am getting the following errors when I run /usr/sbin/named
>

>Named[1398]: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use

An another daemon or an another instance of named must be using the udp
port 53, thus named can't listen on that socket.

>Named[1398]: creating IPv4 interface lo0 failed; interface ignored

The loopback interface always refers to the current machine, so it is
pointless to start a name daemon for *one* machine. If You start a
daemon that is only listening on lo0, You can only rech that on the same
machine where it is running. That's why named doesn't permit You to do
this. You must change the name.conf to listen on the external interface,
that is connected to the Internet or to the local network.

>Named[1398] dns_rdata_fromtext: db.10.1.3.197:4 near '3h': not a valid
>number
>
>Named[1398]: zone 3.1.10.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading master file db.10.1.3.197:
>not a valid number
>
>Named[1398]: zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loading master file db.127.0.0:
>not a valid number

There should be some syntax error in You zonefiles. I've seen Your
enclose a sample zonefile, modify it for Your case.

$TTL 3600
@                       IN SOA          ns.somedomain.hu.
root.somedomain.hu. (
                                        2005042700      ;serial
                                        1D              ;refresh;
                                        2H              ;retry
                                        1W              ;expiry
                                        2D )            ;minimum

                        IN NS           ns
                        IN NS           ns2
                        IN MX 10        mail
                        IN A            a.b.c.d

ns                      IN A            a.b.c.d
mail                    IN A            a.b.c.d
ns2                     IN A           e.f.g.h

Of course, a.b.c.d stands for that machine. It will be the primary name
server of the domain, and it is supposed to accept mails for that
domain. The second ns2, e.f.g.h stands for the second names server. It
is optional if this is a for a local network.

>Could anyone please tell me how to solve these issues
>

>Thanx

Cheers,

Gábor Kövesdán