FreeVRRPd project status

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Wed Apr 13 08:14:55 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> writes:
>> It's dead, I think:  Cisco's lawyers started making predatory noises
>> about their "intellectual property".  Some people from NetBSD are
>> working on a replacement called CARP, which you might want to check
>> out-- it seems that FreeBSD will be picking up support for this soon,
>> as well.
>
> CARP comes from OpenBSD, not NetBSD, and is already in FreeBSD.

...and can't safely be deployed in a lot of datacenter scenarios where
the providers gear is running VRRP, since the OpenBSD-folks didn't bother
to read up on how the process of obtaining a protocol number works, and
hence used the one assigned to VRRP after a half-baked attempt at getting
one themselves. Hence making CARP pretty much useless for ISPs, no matter
how good it may or may not be otherwise.

/leg