Intel PRO/1000 CT (82547EI) - em0: watchdog timeout

Pavel V.Zheltobryukhov pij at rambler.ru
Fri Sep 24 04:58:06 PDT 2004

I have Intel 7210 Server Board with Intel PRO/1000 CT (82547EI)
on-board. This NIC work fine under Win2K, but then I boot  FreeBSD
5.2.1 I've got a message on console:

em0: Link up 100Mbit full duplex

and boot process suspended at this moment. After approx. 1 minute next
messages appear

em0: Watchdog timeout -- resetting
em0: Link up 100Mbit full duplex
em0: Watchdog timeout -- resetting

I send Ctrl+C and boot process was continued. But network card doesn't
work. I check cable - it's good. I can't send any ping packet to other
computers. I tried other transmit modes - I switch NIC to 10Mbit half
duplex and 10Mbit full duplex via ifconfig options. No result. What is
a problem? Bad driver? That is not a card problem, because (as I wrote
above) it work in Windows.