route to host on same network

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Sep 14 02:59:18 PDT 2004

Hello there.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 07:19:31PM +0200, John Hay wrote:
> I'm busy trying to port mobilemesh (www.mitre.org/tech_transfer/mobilemesh)
> to FreeBSD and run into a problem.

I tried to port MobileMesh once too.

It is a largely futile exercise. The wired segment of your network requires
full multicast routing in order for MMBDP to work, effectively making
MobileMesh useless for any real world deployment unless all of your
border nodes are in the same AS.

> The way mobilemesh works is that you use a subnet for the wireless
> network and then it use host routes to route packets to hosts that are
> not directly visible. Say for instance that you have hosts 1, 2 and 3
> on the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet and machines 1 and 3 can't directly see each
> other, but both can see host 2, then the mobilemesh routing protocol
> will try to add a host route to the other machine through host 2. On
> host 1 it will do something like "route add 10.0.0.3 10.0.0.2" and
> on host 3 it will do "route add 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2". This seems to work
> on Linux (where mobilemesh was developed), but I have been unable to
> get it to work on FreeBSD. I have also tried various ways with and
> without -interface and -iface, but none works. Is it supposed to be
> possible in FreeBSD and if so does someone know how?

To add a host route you want 'route add -host <destination> <gateway>'
as per route(8). You shouldn't need to add an interface route unless
the destination is directly visible on that network (via layer 2
e.g. ARP or Proxy ARP or some other layer 2 hack). <gateway> can be
the IP of an interface on your system.

Regards,
BMS