strange connection attempts with 182.5.5.8.

Artur Meski apm at cifrid.net
Thu Sep 2 09:56:47 PDT 2004

Pound (http://www.apsis.ch/pound) is a http reverse proxy and
load balancer. While I was playing with it, I ran into a weird thing.

After pound forwards a connection to a backend, something like this occurs
(truss output):

connect(0x3,{ AF_INET 182.5.5.8:49087 },16)      ERR#36 'Operation now in
progress'

Where does 182.5.5.8 come from? No one has ever made any connection
(according to tcpdump) from this address. I installed pound on the
second server and its behaviour is just the same. It happened to me only
on FreeBSD. Tested with different FreeBSD installations.

AOLserver with nsvhr module does very similiar thing, so I assume it's not
pound specific and maybe a FreeBSD bug.

What's going on?

--
// WWW: apm.cifrid.net // PGP: finger apm at acrux.cifrid.net //