FreeBSD 5.3 Networking performance problem

Eli Dart dart at nersc.gov
Mon Nov 29 08:38:10 PST 2004

> [ ... ]
> > I then tested with the whole school going through the firewall: very bad.
> > packets were being droped and ping times were around 600ms. Internet was
> > pretty much unuseable.
>
> This report sounds consistent, although you could also have a bad cable or
> switch port, too.  It would be useful to you to look into the output of
> "netstat -i" and "netstat -s", and any statistics which might be available on
> your switches (if they have management & per-port stats).

The other thing to check is your duplex settings.  Your host
interface and/or switch interface may be picking the wrong setting
when it attempts to autonegotiate.  If you have an unmanaged switch
(or don't have access) you can manually set the interface to full or
half duplex using ifconfig.  In my experience, Foundry switches tend
to autoneg correctly if the host side is set to auto, and guess wrong
if the host is set to a specific setting.  Cisco switches are
variable, depending on model and IOS version.

Note that if your interface is set to full duplex and the switch is
set to half, you'll see lousy performance and very likely see no
errors on your side.

		--eli