route cacheing for gif(4) should be optional

James haesu at towardex.com
Thu Nov 25 18:55:11 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 05:06:41PM +0300, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   Back to this problem:
>
> http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-net_2004/msg01305.html
>
> I've found two more people who dislike this feature of gif(4).
> So I'd like to make it optional.
>
> We already have LINK2 flag removing sourceroute filter from gif(4),
> which is commonly used in asymmetrically routed networks. I suggest
> to use this flag also for disabling route cacheing, since asymmetricity
> often appears in dynamically routed networks, and if one runs dynamic
> routing, he probably wants to remove route cacheing, too.

I'd think we should create a separate option for removing the route
cache. Sometimes, certain people want to use the tunnel at the highest
maximum performance possible with both sourceroute filter disabled
and tunneling routes allocated at their creation time. Perhaps link3 is a
good place for this option?

Thanks,
-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                      Boston IPv4/IPv6 Web Hosting, Colocation and