run multicast daemon on vlan interface

edrt edrt at citiz.net
Tue Nov 23 18:02:33 PST 2004

Hi All,

I tried running pimd and forwarding multicast traffic on vlan interface
with a freebsd derived kernel, but it seems that kernel failed to receive
multicast traffic on the vlan interface.

I guess the reason partly lies in vlan_ioctl's SIOCSIFFLAGS
handler doesn't take care IFF_ALLMULTI flag and call parent
interface's if_allmulti.

Does anyone have a success try of forwarding multicast traffic on vlan
interface ? Or the kernel should be patched to support setting IFF_ALLMULTI
flag on vlan interface ?

Thanks
Yi Zhao