gif4) & AltQ

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Mon Nov 22 20:00:06 GMT 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 19:23, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:30:28PM +0100, Eric Masson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In a vpn application, I'm using gif tunnels backed by ipsec transport
> > mode beetween two hosts on the Internet.
> >
> > Is there any hope to see gif(4) modified to integrate AltQ framework or
> > is there any reason (except lack of maintainer/coder time) that would be
> > a showstopper ?
>
> I'm not sure ALTQ makes sense on a gif interface.  ALTQ's operation
> depends on being fairly close to the point where packets hit the wire
> and gif is quite a ways from there (since it's riding on top of IP).

Very true. It's more worthwhile to classify on gif and queue on the real
interface. Queueing on gif will only work in rate-limiting mode.

> I don't think there would be any objection to adding support, but gif
> does not have have a maintainer so you'd have to convince someone to
> find it intresting (or figure it out yourself.)  I gather the changes
> aren't all that complex in general.

That's true as well. Take a look at the patches on:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ALTQ_driver/ and the altq(9) manpage to
learn how to modify a driver. It's more or less looking for if_snd and
modifying it according to the rules in altq(9). Not sure how *exactly* gif(4)
works, but I'll put it on my list (just not a high priority, right now).

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org