Initial review request for IPv6 Fast Forwarding and IP6STEALTH

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 21 17:12:11 GMT 2004

At Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:23:10 -0500,
James wrote:

> Attached is initial code for ip6_fastforward() that I'm proposing
> for FreeBSD 5.x. This code was written for an internally modified
> FreeBSD 4.9, however in the next few weeks, I will be porting this
> into FreeBSD 5.3 tree and submit a final draft for review back to
> freebsd-net here. However in the mean time, if any experienced folks
> can feed any suggestions or critics for this code, I will gladily
> appreciate your input and make necessary changes for the final
> draft.
>
> We have been testing this code on a core router in occaid.org IPv6
> network for a few days now, and so far we've had zero problems and
> so far is running very stable.

Hi James,

	A few comments for you:

Issues found:
    ip6_forward_rt is a global value that is used without locking
    ASSERTS still include the old name apc_inet6_fastfwd
    Stats are updated directly but I don't think we lock those yet.
    Don't define M2MMAX in line, put it outside with a comment.
    If the mbuf is already freed then how can we safely use m->m_pkthdr.rcvif? at line 223
    Improve the indenting in the commented case at line 298.  I understand the idea, and it's good, but it's a bit confusing to read.
    Remove #if code at 553 which is specific to the APC product.

Later,
George