polling(4) rocks!

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 18 07:49:33 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:51:24AM -0000, Mark Magiera wrote:
> > Why can some NIC use polling and others not ?
> >
> > eg I went to turn on polling on my BCM5782 Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit
> >    Ethernet Card. And bge(4) doesn't mention anything about polling.
> >
> > Is it a hardware feature of the NIC ?
> >
> >  - aW
> >

> >From `man 4 polling`:
> SUPPORTED DEVICES
>      Polling requires explicit modifications to the device drivers.  As of
>      this writing, the dc(4), em(4), fxp(4), rl(4), and sis(4) devices are
>      supported, with other in the works.
>
> This seems to suggest all hardware supports it, just some drivers don't at
> this/that(2002) moment in time.

The polling(4) in -CURRENT has much more devices supported:

: Device polling requires explicit modifications to the device drivers.
: As of this writing, the dc(4), em(4), fwe(4), fxp(4), ixgb(4),
: nge(4), re(4), rl(4), sf(4), sis(4), ste(4), vge(4), and vr(4)
: devices are supported, with others in the works.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org