in.c autoadding prefix route

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Thu Nov 11 16:10:41 PST 2004

On Thursday 11 November 2004 22:29, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Thu, 11.11.2004 at 21:24:05 +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> > The patch allows to add more than on IPv4 address with the same prefix.
> > In the case that there is a route already, we leave it alone and add the
> > new address without the IFA_ROUTE flag. When we remove an address later
> > on, that has a route associated, we try to find an alternative address to
> > use for the route and hand it over.
>
> Assume I have two computers hooked up via Ethernet and via Firewire
> (if_fwe). Will this commit allow me to place all four IP addresses of
> the interfaces into the same subnet and have FreeBSD re-route the
> packets through Firewire if the Ethernet link goes down (or vice versa)?
>
> Or do I need to go CARP for this to work?

The route is only handed over when the address is removed. It might help you
when you have a laptop with a wireless card. You can first surf on your couch
and later walk to your desktop, plug in the cable and unplug the PCMCIA ...

This however, is not the primary goal here and CARP might indeed be what you
are looking for ...

BTW: I forgot to advertise (and people actually asked) CARP patches can be
found at: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/CARP/

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org