"bug" with ifconfig ... ?

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Nov 9 04:59:33 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:31:15AM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> "Remove the network address specified.", to me, means that if one isn't
> specified, nothing should/would happen :(

Intentional:
%%%
     delete  Another name for the -alias parameter.
%%%

Basically, delete or alias without an argument will remove the address(es)
configured on the interface for the default address family (almost
always inet, i.e. IPv4). This is something I've used for years, but
I have always taken it to mean 'the very last address configured'.

BMS