How to reset admin's password on 3com superstack ?

Harti Brandt harti at freebsd.org
Mon May 24 11:08:27 GMT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, [iso-8859-1] Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:

SL>Hi...lists
SL>
SL>   As the subject said, I have forgot admin's password
SL>of my 3com switching it's model is "3300 SuperStack"
SL>I'd like to know is there any way to reset admin's password ?
SL>
SL>CC to my email address is appreciated.

If you google around on the net you'll find two possible ways:

1. You're lucky and your software version has one of the backdoors
that you find on the net.

2. You connect your switch to another via those special connectors on
the back.

For me neither of those worked, but fortunately SNMP was enabled on the
switch and the write community was something like 'private' (don't
remember exactly). The passwords are in the MIB and I could write them via
snmpset.

If neither of those work, you'll better get a new one, because 3com
appears to charge real money for help in those cases.

harti