Max NFSD processes

Steve Shorter steve at nomad.lets.net
Fri May 21 20:15:03 GMT 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:06:41PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:

> >	Disk design issues  matter cause it is the ultimate
> >bottleneck. RAID is you friend.
> >

> Just curious - what RAID level/configuration do you use?  I've typically
> used RAID5, but RAID0+1 might be acceptable.

	Depends. RAID5 has worst right performance, so it might
be bad for something like mail. Generally I use RAID0+1 for mail and RAID5 for
web data.

	Also, depending on your budget and/or concerns about
failure/downtime, you might want to vinum mirror the entire base system disks.
Be sure to have the root partition vinumed also. There is good documentation
in the handbook and on gregs page.

	Actually all my nfs servers are "diskless" except for the
data and boot off of boot servers using PXE. The boot servers have
vinumed system disks.

	-steve