Max NFSD processes

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed May 19 14:56:56 PDT 2004

I have several heavily used NFS servers, currently running FreeBSD
4.9-RELEASE.  I'm getting jammed up with all my nfsd processes being
busy, so clients see slow connections to the server.  I have the nfsd
starting with a count of 20, which is the max set in the nfsd.c file.

Are there any risks I should be aware of before bumping up the max to
say 40, or even 50?

What would it take to make this a sysctl adjustable value?

Should the max be bumped higher by default nowdays?

Thanks - any help/hints is appreciated.

Eric