Frame-Relay support for sppp (Was: FrameRelay support for cx/ctau adapters)

Roman Kurakin rik at cronyx.ru
Mon May 10 14:05:03 PDT 2004

Hi,

    Cronyx has it own version of sppp. One of the main difference from
FreeBSD's one that it
has support of FrameRelay. We have tryied to get this code commited
several times but due to
some reasons it wasn't commited (if you grep CVS you may see that it was
commited on vendor
branch, see if_spppsubr.c 1.1.1.2 15 May 1997 14:48:46).
Since cx(4) driver (Cronyx Sigma) was updated, ct(4) (Cronyx Tau) driver
was commited and
cp(4) driver going to be commited, users of Cronyx adapterts started to
ask us about fr support
in FreeBSD's sppp since they do not need to use our patches for adapters
any more. They need
these patches only for sppp, to get fr support.

    Since I able to add this support to FreeBSD's support I want to get
some more opinions from
various sides.

    Now I have one "yes" and one "no" opinions. My own voice "yes", but
I belive, I should
not count it. ;-)

PS.
Some FAQ :
1. This is not a new code. It is an old code. More over it is not a new
driver,
it is only extension of sppp (4).
2. This code is already maintained, thus it doesn't need any additional
efforts.
3. Yes, netgraph could be used instead, but many of users of Cronyx adapters
prefer to use sppp (not only for fr).

Best regards,
                        Roman Kurakin