Default behaviour of IP Options processing

Michael DeMan michael at staff.openaccess.org
Mon May 10 02:24:26 PDT 2004

I agree with the 3 firewalls being a problem.

I would like to point out however that having the 3 firewalls is a classic
political  issue.

>From a purely technical perspective we have IPFW and IPF/PF.

Really, only two firewalls.

For our company, as an end user that occasionally has to do build/port hacks
to provide products to service our customers, ipfw needs to go and the
political issues between IPF/PF need to be solved.

Currently we use IPF for firewalls and IPFW+DummyNet for bandwidth limiting.
Using two different administrative tools and syntax sucks.

Ideally for us an IPF/Alt-Q solution is the best.

However, egos seem to prevail, and IPFW links with experience makes it a
forimidable solution to switch away from.

Given the statements above, I am grateful for all the code and work people
have done.

- Mike

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology
OpenAccess Internet Services
1305 11th St., 3rd Floor
Bellingham, WA 98225
Tel 360-647-0785 x204
Fax 360-738-9785
michael at staff.openaccess.org

P.S. - Thanks for cleaning up the code Darren.  We can finally do
IPSEC+IPNAT for our WiFi customers.  Yes, there are potential security holes
but we can run IPSEC 0.0.0.0/0 plus IPNAT which is far better than WEP.