Can't compile Intel gigabit "em" driver

Gary Corcoran garycor at comcast.net
Sun May 9 15:03:59 PDT 2004

Quick background:
I'm running FreeBSD 4.8-Release and have a new Intel Pro/1000 MT
NIC I want to install.  While there is a man page for the "em"
driver which should be usable, there is no "em" listed in LINT
or GENERIC.  Nor is the source code for if_em.c anywhere on my
system.  So I downloaded the FreeeBSD driver source from Intel,
which is listed as being for FreeBSD 4.7.  It's their latest code.

But trying to compile it as a kernel module doesn't work.  I have
searched google and freebsd.org, but can't find an answer to this
problem.

When I run make (as root or user), I just instantly get the error:
"/usr/share/mk/bsd.man.mk", line 53: bsd.man.mk cannot be included directly.

This is their makefile.  As you can see, it just includes <bsd.kmod.mk>,
which seems to be perfectly legitimate (i.e. what other kernel modules
makefiles do):
-------------------------------------
#$FreeBSD$
.PATH:  ${.CURDIR}
KMOD    = if_em
SRCS    = device_if.h bus_if.h pci_if.h opt_bdg.h
SRCS    += if_em_hw.c if_em.c

CFLAGS  += -DLM

clean:
	rm -f opt_bdg.h device_if.h bus_if.h pci_if.h setdef*
	rm -f *.o *.kld *.ko
	rm -f @ machine

.include <bsd.kmod.mk>

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks,
Gary

P.S. Not subscribed to these two lists, so please keep me in
the To: or Cc: list.