FrameRelay support for cx/ctau adapters

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Fri May 7 05:31:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:

GS> D> we're using Cronyx adapters, some of them in FremaRelay mode, which has been
GS> D> supported by cronyx-made drivers available from vendor site for most of FreeBSD
GS> D> versions. FR support involves modifications to sppp kernel routines.
GS> D>
GS> D> Main driver maintainer is now FreeBSD committer (rik@).
GS> D> However, during merging cx/ctau into the tree, FR suppport has not been
GS> D> incorporated. Roman told me there are some objections to these modifications.
GS> D>
GS> D> Can I ask for more complete cx/ctau support including FR?
GS> D>
GS> D> Please keep me CC'd, as I'm not subscribed to -net.
GS>
GS> FreeBSD has support for FR with help of nodes ng_frame_relay and ng_lmi. This
GS> support is hardware independent. And it works perfectly with cronyx adapters.
GS> What is a reason for merging hardware specific support from old cronyx driver into
GS> base system?

Short answer: keep POLA.

Longer answer: to keep 4.x systems with _existing_ fr setup up to date,
non-intuitive and non-atomic patches are now required.

BTW: we have more than one perfectly (for particular meaning of 'perfect', os
course ;-) working firewall systems, more than on (3) ppp inplementations, and
more than one software raid implementation. I do not see any harm in existing
another (working!) implementation for fr then, especially when it does so
little bloat to the code base.

Sincerely,