[4.9-R]Can I Make My DSL Connect Go Faster ?

The Jetman jetman at mycbc.com
Tue May 4 11:33:02 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wes Peters" <wes at softweyr.com>
To: <freebsd-net at freebsd.org>
Cc: "The Jetman" <jetman at mycbc.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2004 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [4.9-R]Can I Make My DSL Connect Go Faster ?

> >     Julian:  There isn't much that I can *think* to add.  If knowing
> > which LAN cards I use will help, they're the usu stuf, a dc (forget which
> > chip) and a Realtek.  I admit these aren't superstars, but I just slapped
> > NAT box together from what was a simple workstation.  The IPFW firewall
> > script is the unmodified 'open' config, that is:
>
> None of that would have any bearing at all, unless you've horribly
> mis-configured something.  Did you have to install any special drivers on
> XP?  I'm wondering if they're using some sort of link compression to get
> the promised speed.  Also, try downloading something from one of the
> well-connected FreeBSD mirrors and see what kind of download speeds you
> get.  I may be the browser you're using or something equally stupid in the
> test you're using.  After all, what really matters is the REAL performance
> you get, not some number off of a web page, right?
>
> --
>
>         Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
>
> Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com

    Wes:  I've used a couple of Internet speed tests, at different times, but
always w/ the same configs.  Neither config has been modified.  All of the
results are the same.  I use ADSLGuide and DLSReports as my speed tests,
which are in different continents, but both report the same speeds.  I use
different browsers, but Java is what does the deal.

    I am still clueless....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+       If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.                +
+       If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.         +
+       If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.       +
+       If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.      +
===  jetman516 'at' hotmail.com  ==========================  Anon  ===