mpd and external authentication

Emil Filipov tie at ankh.morp.org
Sat May 1 18:35:50 PDT 2004

Hi list:)

Has anyone used mpd with external authentication like this one (mpd
manual here):
----
# mpd.secrets configuration file
# An external password access program

gregory "!/usr/local/etc/mpd/get_passwd.sh"
----

It is a very convinient way of authenticating users I admit . However
there is a major disadvantage - you cannot (according the documentation;
will be glad if I'm wrong) assign ip address/range to the authenticated
user. You will need to use RADIUS authentication, in order to do so.

However, I don't feel like deploying RADIUS just to have a simple and
convinient way of authenticating my VPN users against a database.

So my question is: has someone of you , guys, patched mpd, so that it
can understand ip address/range ardument upon successful authentication?
Don't want to re-discover the wheel you know. Also, Archie :), if you
read this, could you share your thoughts about it?

TIA,
Emil Filipov